Pages

April 27

Do you ever want to learn how to do something new, and think you have it figured out and you are so proud of yourself and then you look a little closer, and you compare your stuff to someone else's and then you aren't so sure of yourself anymore? Well, I have definitely felt that way as I begin to try my hand at designing for digital scrapbooking. When I get interested in something it consumes me -- night and day until I get it figured out. I am not a very patient person when it comes to learning. That being said, I have learned that all of those feelings of self doubt are normal, and I am coming to terms with my inexperience. One of my classmates in the Art of Digital Design class shared a great article about the beginning process of becoming a designer. I am just going to take the main statement but the full article can be read here.
“What nobody tells people who are beginners — and I really wish someone had told this to me . . . is that all of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, and it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase. They quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know it’s normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.”

Isn't this so true? I love it! I printed it out and hung it on my bulletin board to remind me that it's okay I am just a beginner and I shouldn't be so hard on myself! Maybe this little article will help you, too!

No picture of the day today, but I do have some Visualize Inspiration for you :)

I added this to my sidebar, so go check it out!!! I added lots of cool pictures today :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment