Pages

A Fresh Start



Well today is officially the last day of my summer vacation and I couldn't be more excited about it.

I so love the fresh start to a new homeschooling year!

All the new school supplies perfectly organized in my canvas bins, new schoolbooks lined up according to size, not a single book with a corner bend or missing pages, the look of the clean whiteboards, and the stacks of "busy boxes" I have worked hard to prepare for the twins -- all items prepared to serve my attempt at educating my children this year.

Every time we start a new year of homeschool, I am always hopeful that this year is the year that I will finally have it all figured out.

Every day will be fun and exciting. I will look forward to the routine of teaching my children at home.

I will stay organized by keeping current with my lesson plans, carefully documenting the books we've read, the worksheets we completed, the games we played, the field trips we took, etc.

I will not wake up thirty minutes late and scramble to make a quick breakfast after my so-called schedule has already began and then panic about being behind all day because I stink at sticking to a schedule.

They will not have forgotten every single thing that they learned the year before.

They will not grumble or complain about math problems, language worksheets, or reading assignments.

They will not whine about singing the silly songs that their younger brother picked because they are "baby songs".

They will not make faces at one another during our opening prayer and Bible story.

They will not answer every question like they are bored they don't even care what the answer is.

They will not poke one another in the arm with their pencils.

They will not intentionally bump the person next to them so that they mess up their handwriting practice page making it no longer "perfect" and thereby causing an extremely loud screaming match between the siblings who are now fighting with one another and the mom who lost her temper because of said screaming match.

So how will this year be different?

Well honestly, while I am hopeful that it will, I am realistic and experienced enough to know that one or possibly all of these things will happen on any given day.

It is on these days, and every day in between that I am purposing to be covered in prayer and armed with the Word of God in my heart.

I will be a shining example of all of the fruits of the spirit, modeling my heart full of grace, mercy, compassion and love towards my children.

I will not rush them through their lessons so that I can do the dishes. Or the laundry. Or the floors.

The to-do list will have to wait. I am the momma and the teacher raising up this next generation.

They are more important than anything else to me.  This is the year that things will be different.

Maybe not all year, but at least for tomorrow. Well that's the plan anyway.


0 comments:

Post a Comment