Pages

February 18

I just realized that I haven't been posting my Weight Watchers stuff lately. Oops! I had my first weigh in last week and I was down 2 1/2 pounds. Woohoo! Losing is always better than gaining, and that's the first loss I've seen in a while :)

So in my quest to continue to lose, and learn more healthy recipes, I have been searching for weight watchers blogs. I was so excited when I found the amazing skinnytaste blog. It's loaded with several yummy looking dishes, from salads, to soups, to desserts. One thing that I have been hearing a lot about lately is the idea of  "sneaking" cauliflower into mashed potatoes. When I happened upon this recipe for potato soup (which I love in any form -- believe me, I have like 12 different recipes for potato soup!)  I finally found the courage to try it. Much to my surprise, it was not only edible, but delicious :) Bonus!!! If it couldn't get any better, my kids, yes all five of them, asked for seconds. Of course I didn't use her recipe exactly, as that would be against my nature :) But I totally used the idea and recipe as a guideline. I will definitely be making this one again, so I am adding the recipe to this post. Hope you have a chance to try it out! If you do, I'd love to hear your results.

Creamy "Potato" Soup

1 bag of ready to eat cauliflower pieces, steamed lightly
1 yellow potato, baked in the microwave (3 points plus value)
1/4 cup sour cream (2 points plus value)
2 chicken bouillon cubes
3 cups of water
1 handful baby carrots

2 tablespoons margarine (4 points plus value)
1/8 cup flour (2 points plus value)
8 oz whole milk (4 points plus value)

1. Start making your chicken broth with the bouillon, water, and carrots. Let it boil while everything else is cooking.
2. Start steaming the cauliflower. You don't want them to be mushy, just tender.
3. Bake your potato in the microwave. I have this awesome little bag that I cook mine in. It's like a little pouch and it is amazing :) Cooks a potato in 6 minutes! Even in my tiny little microwave.
4. Get a small pan and slowly melt the butter in it. Add the flour, and then the milk, slowly and cooking on medium low so you don't scorch the milk. That smells terrible! haha! Stir until it thickens up quite a bit. You can just let it sit on very low heat while you prepare the rest of the soup.
5. Put your steamed cauliflower & carrots  into a food processor along with the sour cream and about 1-2 ladlefuls of the chicken broth. (Just used a slotted spoon to get the carrots out of your chicken broth, They will not be super soft or mushy, but they will definitely not be crunchy either.) Puree until it's very smooth.
6. Add the potato, skin and all, and pulse just a couple of times. You want it to mix in, but you still want there to be small chunks of potato in the soup.
7. Pour the pureed mixture into a pot and add the cream that you made. Mix that all together and according to your preference for thick or thin soups, add remaining chicken broth. The more of that chicken broth you use, the lower the points :) Add garlic salt and pepper to taste.
8. Eat a bowl of this yummy soup and take time to appreciate that you just made something healthy and filling for yourself. Then share it with someone else :)
9. Clean up the ginormous disaster of a mess you just made! Sorry about that :) I'm a messy cook!

When I made this for me, I ended up with 5+ cups of soup. So, I counted it as 3 points plus value per 1 cup serving. I didn't add any bacon or cheese to mine, but that sure makes it look better :) If you want them in yours, just don't forget how many additional points that would be. This is Gina's picture. Doesn't this look heavenly? Yeah, I m going to reheat another bowl right now! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment